Whenever I read something online or in books, I gladly admire the skills of writers and acquire the ideas about writing differently. It makes me realize that how much a writer used to read before he planned to write. Reading and writing are two inseparable things and both are complimentary.
Last day, I was reading a post by Jeff Goins in which he mentioned a point, ‘writers need to be readers’. I absolutely loved what he wrote. The person who has a genuine passion for writing cannot devalue the tremendous importance of reading in the life of a writer.
This is why I thought to create a post on how reading inspires to make a better writer.
Agree to this?
Reading is an absolute source of inspiration for aspiring writers. As a writer, it is imperative to become a good reader and a learner. Undoubtedly, books are a beautiful escape. Sometimes, a wonderful adventure and at times, a real personal experience of life. In any sort of reading, there is always things to learn and implement.
Starting a blog was my best ever decision I’ve ever taken. You can read this free guide on The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide To Start A Profitable Blog.
Reading can make you a better writer
If you wish to become a compelling writer, then you must have a desire to read words by other fascinating authors. The impressive writings have the potential to get absorbed in the reader’s brain. I think there is no bigger achievement than this for a writer as well as the reader.
Reading inspires to become a better writer, but how?
Stephen King writes in his famous book ‘On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft’,
“The real importance of reading is that it creates an ease and intimacy with the process of writing… Constant reading will pull you into a place… where you can write eagerly and without self-consciousness.”
Enjoy the following perks of reading and become a better writer;
- You will only identify the wants of a reader if you read. It helps you to understand the requirements of a reader.
- Reading lets you gain strong command overuse of language and vocabulary. A writer only writes well if he has a knowledge of new words. He will run out of words if he is not being challenged through online articles, blogs and obviously, books.
- Reading is the best form of inspiration for writers. Nothing inspires a writer more than reading.
- Reading helps you generate good ideas and fresh content.
- Reading is a great way to take lessons from smart writers.
- Reading gives you an idea of how writing should be done. By going through words and stories of different writers, you’ll find how a writer pulls off a trick and draft a story.
- By reading, you’ll also boost creativity and concentration. It opens up your skills and discovers a world of fascinating ideas and experiences. By reading, you delve into a world of your own. You enjoy the benefit of less rigid thinking and write flawlessly. As an avid reader, you become more concentrated towards the flow of words, grammar, and vocabulary.
- Reading encourages writers to write differently. Easy learners have the ability to follow the conversational styles, techniques, and art of writing.
Good writers always search good reads
Books are definitely the first choice for every aspiring writer and all of the passionate readers. But, where can we find some great stories or lessons of daily life?
- Quora is one of the best social platforms where you’ll get a number of real life stories based on questions. It is basically the most reached site where people ask a variety of basic questions and get them answered by a number of people. Famous authors and bloggers also share their experiences.
- Medium is another blogging website where we can learn a lot of quality material. There is something impressive for every reader. If you have got an interest in technology, you’ll find content related to that category. The site has published great inspirational posts by aspiring and successful writers. The fiction has its own attractiveness where people couldn’t resist to add engaging responses. You can find one of my post on entrepreneurship here.
- Goodreads is another reading community where people can find best books available to read online. This community also enables group discussions and friendly talks. You can also ask the authors about anything particular.
- Blogs are actually a great source of information. For a struggling writer, it is important to follow the blogs of successful writers and bloggers. It will not just enhance your skills but also boost up your confidence.
- By subscribing to famous writer’s blogs, one can actually read quality stuff coming directly to the email inbox.
- Jeff Goins has created a post regarding the best books for writing. These best writing books will not just teach you to become a better writer but also a great communicator.
So, what are you reading these days? Any fiction or non-fiction. Anything you love reading.
If you’ve links to read quality stuff, share in the comments.